Common Signs Your Thermostat Isn’t Working Right
We repair and replace: Honeywell thermostats, Smart thermostats, Wi-Fi thermostats, Nest thermostats, Ecobee thermostats, and all other HVAC controls
If the display on your thermostat is blank, this is not a good sign. Check the batteries in the t-stat and if they are fresh, a blank display is a sure sign of trouble.
Maybe you have a secondary temp sensor in the same room and it is nowhere close to your thermostat. If this is the case, your t-stat could misread the temp in your home causing an issue.
If you are adjusting your thermostat up and down to make it cooler or hotter in your home and the t-stat is not doing anything, this means the furnace and air conditioning are not getting the proper signal from the thermostat and you should call for services.
In the heating season: If your t-stat is set to 68 but it’s only 64 in the house, this is a sign of your thermostat not holding temp.
In the cooling system: If you keep your thermostat set at 72 and the AC is cooling at 78, then you know your AC and your t-stat are not working well together.
If you are holding the setting on your thermostat up and down and your HVAC system isn’t responsive, then you may have troubles with your t-stat.
If your thermostat itself won’t turn on and even worse, if it won’t turn on your heating or cooling system, this is a very good sign that the thermostat needs repair or replacement.
Thermostat troubleshooting tips:
- Batteries- Check the batteries and make sure they are fresh
- Set to correct mode- Make sure the thermostat is set to the correct mode (heat or cool)
- Have a look at the filters- Check the filters and make sure they are clean
- Reset the T-stat- Try resetting the thermostat to factory settings
Find the thermostat of your dreams but need help installing it?
The gurus at Austin Plumbing, Heating and Air can help install your thermostat of choice.
- Not enough wires to install your thermostat? No problem!
- Don’t know how to control your humidifier with your nest thermostat? We have got you covered.
- Furnace doesn’t work after new t-stat install? We will get you back in action!
- No AC but the t-stat is brand new? Austin will help sort out what could be wrong.
- Pulling a new wire to the thermostat? We will find a way to make your new thermostat work the way it was intended.
- Relocating the t-stat? A guru can help you pinpoint where your new thermostat should go.
Whether you need help installing a thermostat you purchased on your own or you want Austin Plumbing, Heating & Air to install a pro model thermostat, we are here to help.
Helpful Thermostat Links
Thermostat Options When You Choose Austin Plumbing, Heating & Air
Smart Thermostats & Wi-Fi Thermostats
A smart thermostat gets its name for many reasons. From the ability to tell when you are home or at work to the innate ability to tell when it’s time to roll the temp back for the night. Regardless of the bells and whistles, smart thermostats are great for:
- Folks that fly south for the winter- The ability to monitor the temp in the home and adjust if necessary is a huge benefit.
- Energy savings- Smart t-stats help you save money on your heating and cooling costs. It is as simple as that.
- Tech gurus- In a “smart home”, a smart thermostat is the brains of the operation.
- Rebates and credits may be available!
Standard Wired HVAC Thermostats
Wi-Fi thermostats that know where you are (or at least think they know) are not for everyone. What about folks that just want a thermostat that is easy to use and is uncomplicated? Austin Plumbing, Heating & Air has simple “old school” thermostat solutions for you and your home.
- Non-programmable t-stats- Simple on/off operation.
- Standard programmable t-stats- Miss the days of setting a thermostat program and forgetting? We can bring the good old days back.
- Many different hard wired thermostats are still available and can run even the most modern HVAC systems.